Raw Green Tea Truffles
VEGAN • GLUTEN FREE • REFINED SUGAR FREE • ANTIOXIDANT RICH
| makes 14 |
- 150g Medjool dates, pitted (about 9)
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- ¼ cup homemade almond butter*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
- Small pinch of coarse sea salt
- 2 teaspoons matcha (green tea) powder, to coat
*To make your own almond butter, put four cups activated almonds in a food processor and blend till soft (this may take around 20 minutes), you may need to stop and add a tiny bit of coconut oil – but try and do this late in the process as the nuts release their oils naturally the more they are processed. Salt to taste. Store bought almond butter is not raw, it has been roasted, salted heavily, and has a much stronger flavour.
- Place all ingredients except the matcha powder in a food processor, and whizz till a sticky dough forms.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and pop in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes – it will be near impossible to scoop and rolls the truffles if not – it needs to firm up a little first.
- Once cooled and a little firmer, scoop 1 teaspoon of mixture out and roll into a ball, then coat in the matcha powder. Repeat till finished – this mixture should make about 14 truffles.
- No need to store in the fridge – the matcha coating will also prevent them from sticking now.